Having worked with the former Governor of Rivers State as Official Photographer, I gathered pictorial evidence of his works in the state and decided to show it off - What he used Rivers money to do in Rivers State.
In one occasion Amaechi said "I was chased out of the country with my family, but when I returned as Governor my children were already studying abroad, and because I want the best future for every Rivers child, I want every Rivers son and daughter to have an international knowledge in academics. Then I had to travel to my sons' school in the UK and get the plan to build a quality Secondary School" which many have come and witnessed during his administration. The school was being managed by Indian education company - EDUCOMP. With 60 percent of Nigerian teachers, the school had 40 percent of foreign teachers, most of whom were scientists.
All Rivers children who passed the school entrance examination were given scholarship to study in the model Secondary school without payment. All they had to go in with was their underwear.
The Rivers State Government during Amaechi's administration gave free uniforms, free text books and note books, free food, free sandals, 24-hour power supply from Afam Power station and a Standby Generator which provided light to the students day and night, plus free internet connection giving the students access to research materials.
One other special thing about the school is that all teachers stay in the premises with standard and fully furnished apartments; the hostel houses two students per room with two 4x6 beds, reading table, toilet/ bathroom, TV in the common room, indoor gaming and other Sports facility.
Every classroom is equipped with digital smart board, modern Lab equipment, computers for students Etc.
One of the things I can’t forget is during the midterm break, most students refuse to go on holiday, some said that the school is better than their home that the environment of the school is better than where they are coming from.
Governor Amaechi's dream was to save the poor from being unemployed and to give every Rivers child and non-indigenes resident in Rivers State a quality and better education like those of the rich.
Imagine a world without photography. Which these photos I thought it necessary to show how the former Governor developed and transformed the education sector (Secondary) in Rivers State during his administration.
Model secondary schools were to be built in the 23 local Government areas of the State. But before the end of 29 May 2015 Chibuike Amaechi built 7 of the schools in Elelme, Tai, Etche , Buguma, Emohua, Omuma.
It is therefore important to call for the reopening of Ambassador Nne Furo- Kurubo Model Secondary school in Ebubu Eleme.
I hope you will find time to view this memorable legacy of Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi in Rivers State. See more pictures of Amaechi education projects







Photo credit: ISRAEL IBELEME.












0 comments:
Post a Comment